Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pinter-Test Tuesday - Overnight Blueberry French Toast

I spend A LOT of time on Pinterest. I find myself looking at crafty pins and food pins for hours on end. But I am determined to get something out of those wasted hours so I am actually trying the pins I find. This particular one is for Overnight Blueberry French Toast, as found here.
The original post
In a moment of idiocy I decided to try this dish for father's day breakfast. I say that is idiotic only because if it had been a pinstrosity I would have felt horribly guilty. But I did have the back-up plan of brunch at Cracker Barrel. Luckily for all involved it turned out well.
My version
The recipe calls for day old bread, but it does not indicate type of bread. The grocery store happened to have an Italian loaf on the day old rack so that is the type of bread I used. But I would suggest a bread that is a little more dense, it will soak up the egg mixture without becoming too soggy.The blueberries make this dish and it really does taste just like french toast. Overall it was a success and most importantly, Mr. Dad loved it!


12 slices day-old bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 cup fresh blueberries
12 eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup maple syrup
1 cup white sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
1 tablespoon butter


Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Arrange half the bread cubes in the dish and top with cream cheese cubes. Sprinkle 1 cup blueberries over the cream cheese, and top with remaining bread cubes.
In a large bowl, mix the eggs, milk, vanilla extract, and syrup. Pour over the bread cubes. Cover, and refrigerate overnight.

Remove the bread cube mixture from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before baking. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until center is firm and surface is lightly browned.

In a medium saucepan, mix the sugar, cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, cook 3 to 4 minutes. Mix in the remaining 1 cup blueberries. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, until the blueberries burst. Stir in the butter, and pour over the baked French toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment